Tuesday, November 18, 2014

a moment




Drowsy passengers
all around me.
Seat backs and tray tables
in their upright and
locked positions.
The window is fogged
with my breath.
My head rests gently
against the glass.
Protection from
the endless skies.
Without it I would surely tumble out.
Allowing gravity to cradle me.
Before giving up.

The clouds, they extend like crumpled up paper.
Many miles passing
with each second.
I feel the weight of my body resting in its seat.
I feel the pressure in my ears,
building
the hiccups of sound that pop
and remind.
We are many miles above the earth.

I scan the horizon.
It beckons.
Come this way.

The sky, a perfect blue.
What is this place I am in.
Suspended in a fine line.
Like a strip of cloudy paper.
Am I on earth,
Or is this heaven.

The fog that envelops becomes thicker
As we descend through the sky.
Movement that feels so small, so infinitesimal
yet
so great.

Shifting passengers.
Stirring from sleep.
Necks rolling.
Mouths opening,
“Can I have some water, please?”

I turn my attention once again.
The sky is no longer blue.
It has faded in its color.
Nothing but grey.
No remnant to remind me.
No imprint of that brilliant shade.

The clouds, they want to be close to me.
They rush by my window with urgency.

There is a break
I can see below.
The city begins to unwind itself.
Buildings and
Highways snaking
Around pockets of houses
Nestled in their hills.

 We are returning.

We have returned.


No comments:

Post a Comment