Wednesday, August 20, 2014

a moment



The air is thick.
The path we are on is old.
A shoe worn trail leads us down along the river.
Large pillars of concrete & steel mark the shoreline.
The metro hums overhead, passengers coming & going.
Thick brush kiss my ankles as we move along.

I step over some old, shattered concrete. 
I move down the crumbling stone steps.
I leave him behind.
He gazes out at the water.
I look down.
Old plastic bottles linger along the waters edge.
There are some old men fishing in the distance.
They are standing perfectly still.
I don't even warrant their attention.

I climb onto a concrete pillar. 
I step carefully to it's edge.
I look out at what is in front of me.
Buildings.
Water.
The sun casting sparkles of light.
I see the mountains with more buildings to my left.
I see the bridge I ride over every day to my right.
I close my eyes for just a second.
I take a deep breath.
I can smell the fish & the bobbing trash hit my senses.
I shift my attention.
I feel the warmth radiating toward me even though I am covered by the bridges that are above me.
I hear him say, "sometimes you just need a reminder."

A reminder.
This is a reminder.
I am here.

I grip the edge of the concrete pillar.
I look out again at the water.
The water that reminds me so much of home.
"What is home?" I ask myself.
Is it where I've been?
Is it where I'll end up?

I hear the sounds of the city echoing.
"You can make this your home."
I look up at him, standing in the distance.
I smile as he looks toward me.
The water is lapping softly.
The warmth encases me.

In this moment,
this is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment