Thursday, September 18, 2014

a moment


I step out into the golden sunlight. 
The cool air is brisk 
with a hint of fall. 
The blue of the sky is endless. 

I feel the chill send ripples 
of goosebumps down my arms. 
I put my headphones on. 
I roll my shoulders back.
I take a deep inhale.
Deep exhale.  

I scan the horizon. 
I hear the music pick up. 
I feel my feet start to move. 
Slow at first. 
Then faster. 
Faster. 
My feet creating their own rhythm.

My chest expands. 
I feel the weight of my legs as I urge my body up a hill.
My pace slows.
My breath quickens. 

I feel the rush of speed return. 
The feeling of the air in my lungs feels like freedom. 
I am barely touching the ground. 
The breeze is at my back. 
The open road before me, a doorway. 
I am moving toward it. 
I am moving through it. 
I feel the warmth of my body.
The air in my lungs,
Quickly moving.

I feel weightless.
Wind hitting my face. 
The sky expanding.
My arms moving as fast as my feet. 
The sunlight encasing me.

This movement is freedom. 
Like a bird. 
Set free. 

1 comment: